Saturday 23 August 2008

Self-Study

Today i have done the reading exercise from the website below:

http://www.flo-joe.co.uk/fce/students/tests/3part2.htm

and i have got some new vocabulary as follow:

Rash – careless or unwise, without thought for what might happen or result

Ex. Six months ago I made a rash promise.

Flatter – to praise someone in order to make them feel attractive or important

Ex. I was a little flattered to be asked

Duly – in the correct way or at the correct time; as expected

Ex. I duly put the date in my diary and of course I forgot all about it.

Dawn – the period in the day when light from the sun begins to appear in the sky

Ex. before I knew it, the day was dawning.

Trepidation – fear or anxiety about what is going to happen

Ex. I arrived at the youth centre that morning feeling full of trepidation.

Contend with – to have to deal with a difficult or unpleasant situation

Ex. I asked myself why I had elected to spend a day with all these ‘little monsters’ especially when I have two all of my own to contend with.

No comments: